Top Tips For Car Seat Safety
If you're buying or upgrading your car seat; you may be confused by technical terms, and working out what the safest option is for your family and your car. Don't be afraid to discuss this instore before buying, to make sure you really do get the most suitable model.
To get you started, we have some top tips for how to choose and install a car seat, for optimum safety:
1. Install a car seat in the safest available position in the car:
The middle seat at the back is the safest as this position is the furthest away from all points of impact.
However, many cars do not have a proper middle seat and so the next best position would be behind the passenger’s seat.
Read Next: How To Prepare For Stress Free Journeys
2. Always choose the correct car seat for your child’s current height or weight.
Switch to a Group1 (toddler) car seat when the top of the baby’s head extends past the top of the baby seat. Switch to a Group 2/3 (child) when the child reaches 18kgs, the child’s eye line is above the top of the Group 1 seat or the shoulders of the child are above the highest openings of the seat straps.
Read Next: How To Choose The Right Car For You & Your Family
3. Make sure your car seat fits your car and favour an easy to install ISOFIX base:
Do a physical check or check using the Maxi-Cosi Car Fitting List which you can find here. Benefits of ISOFIX:
- No need for seat belts means fast and easy installation and removal.
- Solid and permanent connection between the car seat and the car body.
- Instant visual and/or audible warning when fitted incorrectly.
Read Next: 4 Vital Tips for Avoiding Driver Distraction
4. Keep your baby rear-facing for as long as possible (up to 4 years recommended)
A newborn’s underdeveloped bones and muscles are unable to prevent its large and heavy head from being thrown forward in an accident.
When rearward-facing, a new born’s head and neck are fully supported, with the forces of an impact being spread over the whole back and not just the head and neck.
5. Look out for car seats that comply with the newest car seat safety regulation called i-Size (ECE R129)
The 5 Key Points of I-SIZE
- Improved protection for head and neck, for frontal and side impact
- Mandatory rearward-facing travel up to 15 months
- Uses ISOFIX to avoid incorrect installation
- Fits almost all cars with ISOFIX
- Easier to choose a car seat – classification by height (cm)
This article has been sponsored by Maxi-Cosi