27 First Trimester Thoughts
For some, finding out that you are pregnant can be a joyous celebration, for others it can be a lesson in terror and damage control, and there’s no argument against those for whom it is both.
Regardless of the feelings surrounding, you have just proved to the world that a) You're not as innocent as you make out and b) You're fertile. Congratulations - You are preggers!
1. You’ve peed on the stick, you’ve been to the doctor, it’s all been confirmed, there is a baby inside you – First thought to consider: Is this real life?
Disbelief and the occasional bout of unbridled terror are totally normal reactions to finding out that you are now with child. Don’t worry, like everything else, this will pass…
2. However don’t forget – your partner may be a little nervous about becoming a parent too
3. And no matter how old you are it will always be a little bit terrifying/exciting telling your parents the news
You just never know how they’ll react…
4. Also when considering confiding in some close friends, you need to realise that some may have a little less faith in you than others
Sometimes it’s better to keep it between just you and your partner for a little while… even if it's just for your own sanity/self-confidence
5. Some will treat you more as a goddess than a human
Because hello – you’re GROWING A BABY
6. But there will be some who will begin to treat you more as a vessel than a human
Because hello – you’re GROWING A BABY
7. Which comes swiftly followed by the realisation that your weekends are going to become a lot less fun
8. But hey there are perks: pretty soon you can go not only maternity clothes shopping but also baby clothes shopping! ALL THE SHOPS ARE FOR YOU!!
9. This realistaion is quickly followed by the crushing awareness of the fact that babies are crazy expensive
They may be cute, but damn if they don’t cost a fortune
10. Every now and then you’ll start to feel that little bit of confidence like: I can have a baby, I’m an adult - yes, go me, I got myself up and dressed this morning, I’ve been through college, I’ve made my own doctors’ appointments, I’ve actually adulted quite a lot lately… I can do this
11. And then you realise that you have odd shoes on and orange juice down your skirt and it hits you again – OH LORD NOT READY
12. There will always be that friend who has done it all before, willing to pass on some useful and helpful advice
13. And your partner at times will seem even less prepared than you feel
14. But there are positives to growing a life inside of you….social etiquette when it comes to food will mean less and less in the coming months – IT’LL BE CAKE TIME ALL THE TIME
15. But be warned: Enjoy being at the no-show stage for as long as you can, because pretty soon you will begin to feel mammoth, even if your bump is barely there
16. And with pregnancy tummy, so too will come the pregnancy aches and pains
17. You’ll be reminded of how amazing you are to be growing an itsy-bitsy human inside you
18. Whilst you have an internal meltdown around the fact that from now until forever you will be responsible for this itsy-bitsy human, for bringing it into this world and for all that it does in this world for the rest of its life
19. Fear and confusion will overwhelm you at times
20. Especially when you begin to think about labour and all that comes with it
21. And you’ll begin to have odd daydreams about the future – like wondering if your partner will record your labour and if you’ll become a viral sensation
22. And the inevitable fantasies (and nightmares) about what your baby will look like
23. Some days you’ll just be too sick and tired to care about any of this
24. Especially when the wrong people start offering you all kinds of advice
25. And even before you begin to show people will start touching your belly inappropriately
Get used to it, this is just the start of it- wait for people to start gurgling over your baby while you’re breastfeeding.
26. And you’re already getting so excited about showing off your little one to the droves of people that suddenly become overwhelmingly interested in you, your diet and your every move
27 But relax…. The big day is a while off yet, enjoy being the most incredible human ever for a while before you get used to being covered in someone else’s sick over the next 8-12 years (and then again at 18)
As always, we would love to hear your opinions. Please leave a comment below.