Maternity Reflexology: What Is It?
Reflexology is a wonderful therapy that can be used safely during pregnancy, labour and post pregnancy. It can be helpful for the following conditions:
- Constipation and Indigestion
- Odema/Water Retention
- Sciatica, SPD and Back Ache
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Sinusitis, Head Colds and Headaches
- Leads to better Sleep and more Energy Levels
- Decreases Stress Levels and Anxiety
Reflexology can help induce labour naturally. Prepares the body for labour by balancing the body's systems, especially the endocrine system which is responsible for the secretion of many important hormones.
When can I have a Reflexology treatment if I am pregnant?
It is best to wait though until you are at least 16 weeks pregnant or more and have had your 1st scan before you begin a reflexology treatment. Many midwives and consultants in Dublin Maternity Hospitals recommend Reflexology for various symptoms during pregnancy. Even if it is just a treat for the feet and to relax! But always check with your doctor or midwife that they are happy for you to have a treatment before you start.
When is reflexology not appropriate in pregnancy?
Even though Reflexology is mostly a safe therapy, some conditions are totally unsuitable to Reflexology during Pregnancy and they require immediate medical intervention:
- Placenta praevia
- Continuous vomiting
- Toxaemia: Pre-Ecclampsia - Ecclampsia
- DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis)
*Always make sure to check that your reflexologist is qualified in maternity reflexology before you start treatments.
Reflexology and Labour
Reflexology can be used during Labour with the following results:
- The length of labour can be very much reduced by having regular treatments in the weeks prior to your expectant delivery date
- Reflexology can be used during labour to help boost energy levels and aid muscle relaxation between contractions
- It can stimulate the production of natural endorphins during labour
- After birth Reflexology babies are very calm, suckle better and are less prone to colic.
After the birth of your baby you may be feeling tired and a little over whelmed with the responsibility of this new little bundle! You may benefit from a reflexology treatment at this very special but busy time. It can help with the following:
- Replace Energy Loss
- Aid Mother’s Milk Flow
- Post Natal Depression
- New Stresses & Anxieties
- Re-Energises the Body
- Helps Uterus Return to Original State
CONTRIBUTOR Saffron Hennigan www.bumpbabyandbeyond.com
Saffron Hennigan is a practicing reflexologist for 10 years. She specialises in Maternity Reflexology but has a busy practice of clients who are not pregnant also. She is a mother of 3 children and has found reflexology to be of great benefit to her children over the years for colds, sleeping, tummy bugs, relaxing them or just a little treat with Mummy! Saffron had regular reflexology treatments during her 3 pregnancies and 2 of her labours were accelerated with reflexology. She is also qualified in Naturopathy, Homeopathy, Pregnancy Yoga, Indian Head Massage, Baby Massage and Children’s Yoga. She incorporates some of these other disciplines into a consulation with a client if applicable. Saffron is a member of the Irish Reflexology Institute so you can claim back some of the cost of a treatment with her if Reflexology is on your health insurance policy.
Share your comments below.