Power Treat Bars
KIDS TOP CHOICE RECIPE: These homemade power treats contain just eight ingredients and are packed with iron for healthy brains and slow release carbs for energy throughout the day.
They are better than any cereal bar commercially prepared and a whole lot cheaper. They taste delicious, as well as less sweet. Makes approximately 16 x 30g bars
- 100g butter
- 2 tbsp treacle
- 50g brown sugar
- 50g self-raising flour
- 50g wholemeal flour
- 100g porridge oats
- 25g pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- 50g dried fruit (raisins, sultanas, apricots, cranberries, etc)
- Preheat the oven to 160C/gas mark 3.
- Melt the butter, treacle and sugar in a large saucepan, then add the rest of the ingredients into the pan and mix without beating.
- Place the mix into a greased and lined oblong shallow cake tin and bake for 20 minutes in your pre-heated oven.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before you mark into 16 bars.
- Leave to cool in the tin, until cold, then remove from the tin. Separate each bar and store in an air-tight container. I keep mine in the fridge to keep each bar hard, but this isn’t absolutely necessary.
Read about meal planning with tips from Sian Breslin, and get prepared for the week ahead.
Sian's Plan are offering an exclusive 10% discount for eumom members, just use 'eumom' at the payment page.