Apple And Cinnamon Sponge
SWEET TREATS RECIPE:
This delicious sponge cake is a great family dessert, and the perfect treat to bring to friends. It is a quick bake, that requires little effort, so is a good one to get kids involved with.
The seasonal flavours of apple and cinnamon are perfect on their own, or add a little ice cream or cream for a little extra naughtiness! Makes 12-16 squares
- 225g butter, softened
- 280g golden caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 350g self-raising flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 400g Bramley apples, peeled and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease and line a rectangular baking tin, then set aside.
- Place the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a bowl and mix well. In a separate bowl, sift together the cinnamon, flour and baking powder, then add to the egg mixture and mix until fully combined.
- Pour a third of the mixture into the baking tin, then spread half of the chopped apples on top. Now add another third of the cake mixture, followed by the remaining apples. Finish with the last of the batter.
- Sprinkle over a little extra sugar, then bake for 45-50 minutes until golden and well risen. The cake should be springy to the touch when done.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10-15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Share your comments below!