Make your own muesli
FAMILY FAVE RECIPE: You can't beat a healthy bowl of muesli to get you started first thing in the morning. Here at eumom we often make our own and it goes down a treat – on it's own or even as a porridge topping.
No two batches are the same because I vary the ingredients depending on what's in the cupboard. Don't be shy about adding all your favourite nuts, and when it's cooled, you can add some dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, etc).
This is really simple to make but you MUST remember to stir it every 5-6 minutes when it's in the oven. So be sure to allocate an hour when you know you are not going to be very distracted (not easy, I know!) or the muesli will stick and burn.
- 150ml sunflower oil
- ¾ jar of honey
- 2 kgs porridge oats
- 200g nuts & seeds (sunflower, linseed, hazelnuts, almonds, etc)
- Preheat the oven to 150C.
- Warm the sunflower oil and honey in a small saucepan.
- Mix the nuts, seeds and oats in a large bowl.
- Add the warmed oil and honey and mix through.
- Spread the muesli on a large baking tin and cook for approximately one hour, remembering to turn every 5-6 minutes.
Note: Remember to turn every 5 or 6 mins! You can also reduce the oats by up to ½ kg, or alternatively, use a whole jar of honey if you like a sweeter muesli. Stores well in an airtight container.