Lentil, Potato and Chickpea Curry
WEANING WONDERS RECIPE:
This quick and easy, but delicious recipe uses up store ingredients.
It is one of my stand by recipes, says Sian Breslin. Almost any cooked or raw leftover vegetable can be added when cubed.
Total time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 200g basmati rice
- 950ml water
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 4 waxy potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1-2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 100g lentils (red or green)
- 300ml vegetable stock (or water)
- ½ cauliflower, washed and cut into bite size pieces
- Rinse the rice and cook the it in the water, lightly salted. Bring to a boil. When boiled for 2 minutes, reduce the heat and let the rice cook with a lid on tightly. Do not be tempted to take off the lid for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan, fry the onions, add the potatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the onion and potatoes. Stir thoroughly. Bring to boil for 2 minutes.
- Turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 15 – 20 minutes. Taste and season.
- Adjust the consistency by adding more stock or reducing the liquid by boiling rapidly (without burning underneath) for 2 minutes.
- Serve with the hot rice which should have completely absorbed the water in the saucepan.