Ah classic Minestrone Soup. A delicious and hearty soup loaded with chunky veggies, cannellini beans and bits of spaghetti strands ... It’s tummy-warming comfort in a bowl! Recipe courtesy of ilovecooking.ie
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 3-4 celery stalks with leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 litre vegetable stock
- 1x (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1x (400g) tin cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- ¼ head Savoy cabbage, shredded
- Salt & pepper
- Place a large pot over medium heat and pour in the olive oil. Once oil has heated, add the vegetables and cook until the onion have softened, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the stock, tin of tomato and the purée and stir to combine. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Cover the pot with a lid, increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and leave soup to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the rinsed beans and spaghetti pieces. Stir to mix, then cook for further 10 minutes. Add the shredded cabbage and cook for further 2-3 minutes, until the spaghetti is cooked.
- Check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed. If you prefer a thicker soup, leave to simmer until soup has thickened, or add a bit of water to thin it out if needed.
- Serve while hot with slices of crusty bread smeared with salted butter.
Soup will keep for up to 3-4 days in the fridge, and can be frozen for up to 4-5 months, although pasta may be slightly mushy once thawed and reheated.
I Love Cooking is home to Ireland’s best collection of tried & tasted recipes from leading chefs & food writers. Get cooking tips, how to videos and the very latest in food news. Visit ilovecooking.ie for more great recipes.