Basic Tomato Sauce
This versatile tomato sauce can be added to mince for a lasagne, used for pizza or be added to pasta, with or without other inclusions like ham, mushrooms etc.
It's Gluten free, paleo, vegan, and vegetarian; so the possibilities are endless! Recipe courtesy of ilovecooking.ie
Prep Time: N/A
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 medium cloves garlic, finely minced
- 680g-700g jar of tomato passata
- 1 tsp sugar, more if needed
- Sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- 10-12 large fresh basil leaves, finely sliced
- Place a heavy bottomed medium sized pot over medium heat with the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook just until softened, about 20-30 seconds.
- Pour in the tomato passata and add the sugar, a generous pinch of salt and grinding of black pepper.
- Allow to cook until sauce has thickened and reduced by a quarter or half, depending on how think you want the sauce to be. Taste and add more salt, pepper or sugar as needed, then stir in the fresh basil.
The Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for a larger batch. It can be refrigerated for 2-3 days, or frozen for up to 3 months. Simply divide sauce into portions, and freeze in sealing freezer bags. Defrost overnight in the fridge, or place frozen sauce in a pot and allow to melt over medium low heat, then increase to medium high heat for 2-3 minutes. To thin out sauce, add a small bit of water until it's the consistency you want.
I Love Cooking is home to Ireland’s best collection of tried & tasted recipes from leading chefs & food writers. Get cooking tips, how to videos and the very latest in food news. Visit ilovecooking.ie for more great recipes.