Rotini Pasta with Lentil and Tomato
KIDS TOP CHOICE RECIPE:
Choose wholegrain rotini (commonly known as spiral pasta) for this hearty dish. The lentils, tomatoes and yoghurt add the vitamins, minerals, fibre and texture, whilst the rest of the ingredients provide the awesome taste.
Total Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 200g rotini pasta (or similar)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped finely
- 150g red lentils, rinsed
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 500ml boiling water
- 1 vegetable stock sube
- 120ml natural yoghurt
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- 1 pack parsley, chopped
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil, then cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan, add the oil and heat for a few seconds. Add the chopped onion, for 1-2 minutes until soft, then add the garlic, lentils and thyme. Stir to coat the lentils, then add the tomatoes, crumbled vegetable stock cube and water. Stir and bring to boil. Turn down the heat and cook for 20 minutes, or until the lentils have softened and absorbed some of the liquid, leaving a sauce which should not be too thin nor too thick. Taste and season as required.
- Drain the pasta, retaining a spoonful to keep the pasta moist.
- To serve, divide the pasta between warm bowls or plates, then spoon over the sauce and top with yoghurt and garnish with grated Parmesan and parsley.
- Note: This dish can be eaten cold and so is suitable for the next day’s lunches.