A classic Italian dish that’s hearty, warming and easy to make. Using only chicken breast also makes this a fantastic healthy dinner option! Serve with soft polenta or crusty bread, the perfect thing for mopping up every last bit of delicious sauce. Recipe courtesy of ilovecooking.ie
Serves: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Extra virgin olive oil, for cooking
- 4-6 chicken breasts
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 100g pancetta or smoky bacon, diced
- 1 punnet mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 150ml dry white wine
- 1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- To serve Soft polenta or crusty bread
- Heat a large lidded pan on medium high heat, then add about 3-4 tbsp olive oil. Brown the chicken until golden on both sides, then remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium, then add pancetta and onion. Cook until soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms, cook for a further 1 minute. Add the wine and simmer for 1-2 minutes, use a spatula to scrape the brown bits off the pan.
- Return the chicken to the pan, then add the chopped tomato. Sprinkle with the sugar and add the herbs. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover the pot with a lid and leave to simmer for 15 minutes for smaller chicken breasts, and 20 minutes for large ones.
- Uncover, season with salt and pepper and increase heat to medium, then leave to cook for further 10-15 minutes until sauce has thickened.
- Garnish with chopped parsley before serving on top of soft polenta or alongside crusty bread.
Leftovers will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge. To re-heat, place in a pot over medium heat, add a splash of water and cover with lid. Cook until sauce is steaming and chicken is warmed through.
I Love Cooking is home to Ireland’s best collection of tried & tasted recipes from leading chefs & food writers. Get cooking tips, how to videos and the very latest in food news. Visit ilovecooking.ie for more great recipes.