What Are The Most Inspiring Books For Children Today?
Luckily, there is an ongoing shift away from stereotypical views of what little girls and little boys 'should' be like. Though possibilities started to open up long-ago in terms of career opportunities and relationships; the way we’re presented in literature and vernacular has been struggling to keep up.
Though this is undoubtedly an issue in relation to girls and 'princesses', they are by no means the only victims of stereotyping; as was so eloquently put by Robert Webb.
So in honour of this, and to encourage our little ones to grow up confident to be whatever they want to be, we have compiled a list of inspiring reads. Just to let you know, the age ranges are just a guide-line as children have very different levels and interests!
- Amazing Me – Carol Thompson
- I like myself – Katherine Beaumont
- I can do it myself – Stephen Krensky
- All About Clive (series) - Jessica Spanyol
Read Next: How To Nurture A Love Of Reading
For Pre-Schoolers (Age 3+)
- One Love - Cedilla Marley
- Ladybug Girl (series) - David Soman and Jacky Davis
- Zog - Julia Donaldson
- Hilda Must Be Dancing - Karma Wilson
- Declaration of the Rights of Boys and Girls - Elisabeth Brami (Age 4+)
- Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon - Patty Lovell (Age 4+)
- The Paper Bag Princess – Robert Munsch (Age 4+)
- Cloudette by Tom Lichtenheld (Age 4+)
For older children (Age 6+)
- Matilda – or any Roald Dahl
- Judy Moody (series) – Megan McDonald
- Ronja the Robber’s Daughter – Astrid Lindgren (Age 8-12)
- The Secret Garden – Frances Hodgson Burnett (Age 8-12)
- Harriet the Spy - Louise Fitzhugh (Age 9+)
- The Ministry of Strange, Unusual & Impossible Things - Paul Gamble (Age 9+)
- His Dark Materials - Phillip Pullman (Age 12+)
Of course, this is merely a drop in the literary ocean; so has excluded classics like Winnie The Pooh, Harry Potter, and Dr Seuss ... sorry lads.
Read Next: How To Be A Good Role Model For Your Kids
For more inspiration, check out amightygirl.com and keep an eye out for the latest releases from Little Island: An Irish publishing company, who have some great titles for children and young adults.