What Are My After School Childcare Options?
When choosing your after school childcare, It's important to get the right balance.
You'll need to find something that fits in around school runs, keeps the children happy and active and that is also cost effective. Sounds straight forward enough... right? So, what are your options?
1. After School Clubs
- Becoming increasingly popular, after school school clubs are now available in many primary schools across Ireland
- The children remain in school and are supervised by staff members from when school finishes until late in the afternoon
- Children mix with their peers in a safe environment and age appropriate activities and games are organised to keep them busy
- Some schools also offer a homework club for older children
- Flexible options are available where parents can choose to send their children from 1 to 5 afternoons per week
- Costs vary but are generally between €75 - €140 per child per week
READ ALSO: Keeping Your Kids Happy and Out of Your Hair
2. Afternoon Nanny
- The Nanny picks the children up from school
- The Nanny can arrange afterschool activities, playdates, arts and crafts, baking, bring the children on outings etc
- The Nanny can help the children with homework ensuring it is completed properly
- This is a great option as the children are being cared for in their own home, have access to their own toys and can play with their friends who may live nearby
- This again is a flexible option, as you can hire a nanny to work the hours you require
- Costs vary depending on experience, number of children and hours required. Generally part time nannies cost from €10 - €16 per hour
READ ALSO: Tough Love: Are We Protecting Our Kids Too Much?
- A childminder can be a brilliant option as it is a home away from home for the children
- They can often do school drop off and collections
- They provide meals and the children are a part of the family
- They can supervise homework and organise age appropriate activities
- They may be very flexible with regard to hours you require
- The cost of a childminder may vary, but could charge around €5 - €10 per hour per child but most offer a set half day rate and sibling discounts
4. Live in Au Pair
- A live in Au Pair can be a great option for families who just require part time hours as generally Au Pairs should only be babysitting for 20-30 hours per week
- They can collect the children from school and prepare lunch at home
- They can entertain the children after school, prepare age appropriate activities
- They can share their culture with the children and even teach them their language
- They can facilitate playdates with the children's friends or meet up with other Au Pairs in the area
- They can help prepare the children's dinner and help out with laundry and keeping tidy
- Au Pairs are paid weekly pocket money, ranging from €100-€150 per week depending on location and number of children
- They should also be provided all meals, suitable time off to study and socialise and a separate bedroom
No matter what type of after school childcare you end up choosing for your children, make sure it is the best thing for your family and for your children.