SWEET TREATS:Your kids are going to love these treats! Inspired by the traditional Halloween candy apple, try these slices of yummy apple dipped in delicious chocolate, then drizzled with chocolate and caramel, and decorated with your favourite toppings! Courtesy of ilovecooking.ie
- 200g good quality milk chocolate, broken up
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 apples
- 50-100g good quality dark chocolate, broken up
- 10 tbsp caramel sauce (optional, made ahead of time)
- Various toppings (Smarties, roughly chopped peanut butter cups, pretzels, broken up biscuits etc.)
- Various sprinkles
- You will also need lollipop sticks or wooden skewers
- Fill a pot halfway with just boiled water. Place a heat resistant glass bowl over the pot, making sure it doesn’t touch the water, then place the milk chocolate and coconut oil in the boil. Stir occasionally until the chocolate and coconut oil have melted and the mixture is completely smooth. Set the bowl aside.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a large flat baking tray, set aside.
- Cut the apples into 5 thick slices, then skewer each one with a lollipop stick.
- Dip the apple slices into the melted milk chocolate mixture to completely coat each slice. Gently tap on the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place each dipped apple slice on the parchment lined baking tray, then once all have been dipped, place in the fridge until set, between 10-20 minutes. You can also chill in the freezer for about 2-5 minutes.
- Prepare your toppings. If using biscuits or large sweets or chocolates, roughly break or chop them, set aside.
- Melt the dark chocolate in heat resistant glass bowl set over a pot of just boiled water. If your caramel sauce is cold and too thick, then gently heat in the microwave or place jar in a pot of warm water just until it’s thin enough to drizzle.
- Once apples have set, remove from the fridge and drizzle each one with caramel sauce (if using), then with melted dark chocolate. Decorate each one with your toppings of choice, you need to work quickly once the dark chocolate has been drizzled on so that it doesn’t set before you decorate.
- If you’re making these with your kids, it may be a good idea to decorate each slice as you go so that the drizzled chocolate doesn’t set which means toppings and sprinkles won’t stick.
- Once decorated, chill in the fridge for about 5 minutes, then enjoy!
- Store lollipops in the fridge. Will keep for about 2 days, although toppings like biscuits or pretzels will lose their crunch.
I Love Cooking is home to Ireland’s best collection of tried & tasted recipes from leading chefs & food writers. Get cooking tips, how to videos and the very latest in food news. Visit ilovecooking.ie for more great recipes.View more “Sweet Treats” recipes