Home Forums Health & Nutrition Weight Loss & Fitness Still Look Pregnant a year later

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  runwithtina 4 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

June Flower

Hi girls, just wondering if anyone has come across my situation..i have had my second child almost a year ago and only put on half stone of which i have lost apart from 2 pounds but went up a complete dress size, which i’m ok about. But my tummy is still very big and hard, i actually look like i’m 5/6 months pregnant. i’m getting looks from my family & friends wondering if im pregnant again cause i was 40 recently and have had to quick pregnancies.

Is this hard big tummy common after a second child and does anyone know how to get rid of it. i’m currently doing sit ups and other ab exercises but nothing is working for me. i have just joined slimming world to see if that will shift it for me.

many thanks for your time.

Aoibhin McGreal

Hi June Flower,

I’m the eumom expert physiotherapist and I just cam across your question. I wonder if you have a separation of your abdominal muscles. This is called diastisis rectus abdominus and may lead to the “pregnant tummy” you described. You can check if you have this gap by pressing 2 fingers about an inch above your belly button and do a sit up. It is normal to have some amount of separation for the first 6 weeks after giving birth but if the gap remains 2 fingertips wide after 6 weeks, you should see a women’s health physiotherapist for treatment.

Even though we think of sit ups as being a great way to tone the tummy they are actually not suitable for women with this separation of yhe abdominals. The best exercises are the ones that focus on the deep abdominals or your core muscles and it is really important to start gradually and build up the difficulty and intensity slowly.

I will be posting links to some useful postnatal exercise and advice videos over the coming weeks so keep an eye out for them

I hope this helps, feel free to let me know if there is anything else you need advice on,

I agree with Aoibhin above. Rather than doing sit ups, I’d recommend you do pilates style core exercises that work on a deeper level. Best thing would be to go to a good pilates class but if you can do that, you can look up a website called pilates on demand which is great.

When you say your tummy is hard, do you mean like swollen/bloated? If so, you should try to cut out wheat for a bit and see if that makes a difference. Eat plenty of fresh fruit and veg and drink at least 2 litres of water a day. Try to avoid too much coffee, fizzy drinks and processed foods – these all can cause bloating too. Try to do some cardio every day, even just walking lots is good.

Tina/ fitness and weight loss expert

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. ! or register!