noscript

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Sofarris 3 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Lil_Miss_Skittles
    Participant

So today marks one year since I got my treadmill (4 mts after my son was born) and I STILL have not lost all my baby weight. ;-( I seem to lose a bit, then stay still for a while, put a couple of pounds back on, lose a bit, stay still for a while, put a couple of pounds back on… Sigh!

It is coming off (albeit gradually) but it’s just taking so long. I have been regularly using my treadmill (almost every day whilst on mat leave) and at least 2-3 times a week (45 mins, about 600 kcals each time) with a swim session also since I went back to work in May yet no joy.

Diet wise I have been eating reasonably healthily most of the time, WW pointing on and off (though I’m convinced the new system doesn’t work as well as the old one), had great success with Carol Vorderman’s Detox Diet for one month (lost 9 lbs and kept off 7 for 3 months – then x-mas hit) and have recently given Paul McKenna’s system a go (though I’ll admit rather half-arsed) to no affect.

Since my son was born I have gone from 78 kg to 68 kg and back up to 70.9 kg over x-mas (not budging!). I want to be 63 kg (i.e. just under 10 stone) which is a healthy weight for my height.

Anyone have any words of wisdom as to why the weight isn’t shifting. I’m getting so down about it.

mum25
    Participant

Hiya! only just saw this! Congrats on your son! and well done you for doing so much exercise. My wee man is a year next month, and I’ve done zero exercise. I am following the Slimming World plan and love it! First thing I am going to ask is are you drinking enough water? I think when you are exercising, your body holds onto water more. Also, did you take your measurements at all? You might find the inches going down, and not the scales. Other than that, I don’t have any other info! Have you ever tried Slimming World? Maybe a change of eating plan would help??

RegansAngel
    Participant

Hi ladies,

Firstly just want to congratulate you both on the birth of your children.  I have one boy (aged 3 now) and one girl (age 2 in May 2013). 

It scary for me to think that only a year ago, depsite after giving birth to two kids I was in fairly good shape apart from the post pregnancy saggy tummy.  Now, i am completely different.  I have gained so much weight its pretty shocking. 

I dont know if it is because I feel so tired all the time running around after the kids and seperating them from fighting and also trying to keep my house in order.  By the end of the day, once the kids go to bed, I usually end up lazing on the sofa, watching Eastenders and scoffing junk food.

Since New Years Day, I have tried to go on a SlimFast diet, which did not work.  I have tried to cut out carbs completely but that is not healthy. I am trying to get back into exercise and so far … its difficult but Im sticking to it. 

Even though I am slowly but surely starting to do more exercise, I still seem to be gaining weight.  I have dramatically cut down on the rubbish food. 

I am starting to think that if I can not shift the weight any time soon, I want to go about for weight loss surgery.  I know the waiting lists here in Ireland are up to three years and you need to be practically on your death bed before they can put you on the list, which is Awful

I looked up private places and there is currently one company that stands out for me but like I said, I want to see if I can loose the weight first.

Has anyone else ever thought about weight loss surgery?

Angela

RegansAngel
    Participant

Hi ladies,

Firstly just want to congratulate you both on the birth of your children.  I have one boy (aged 3 now) and one girl (age 2 in May 2013). 

It scary for me to think that only a year ago, depsite after giving birth to two kids I was in fairly good shape apart from the post pregnancy saggy tummy.  Now, i am completely different.  I have gained so much weight its pretty shocking. 

I dont know if it is because I feel so tired all the time running around after the kids and seperating them from fighting and also trying to keep my house in order.  By the end of the day, once the kids go to bed, I usually end up lazing on the sofa, watching Eastenders and scoffing junk food.

Since New Years Day, I have tried to go on a SlimFast diet, which did not work.  I have tried to cut out carbs completely but that is not healthy. I am trying to get back into exercise and so far … its difficult but Im sticking to it. 

Even though I am slowly but surely starting to do more exercise, I still seem to be gaining weight.  I have dramatically cut down on the rubbish food. 

I am starting to think that if I can not shift the weight any time soon, I want to go about for weight loss surgery.  I know the waiting lists here in Ireland are up to three years and you need to be practically on your death bed before they can put you on the list, which is Awful

I looked up private places and there is currently one company that stands out for me but like I said, I want to see if I can loose the weight first.

Has anyone else ever thought about weight loss surgery?

Angela

Lil_Miss_Skittles
    Participant

Hey mum25, I drink a reasonable amount of water but perhaps I do need more. I have measured in the past and your right!… This time last year I lost 5 inches off my waist with no show on the scales. My clothes are not getting any looser at mo though.
    I have never tried slimming world as there’s no meeting near where I live but I think I do need to get strict again for a while. No more excuses! Last week I managed 4 hour long sessions on my treadmill (less intense but longer so I could go straight after dinner rather than using that as an excuse not to exercise). Did an hour today too.

RegansAngel, I would try to avoid surgery at all costs hun. Aside from the risk of the surgery itself, it doesnt always work out the way you think it will. have seen lots of horror stories on documentaries. Have you ever tried weight watchers? I find it a good way of becoming more aware of what I’m eating and it has worked brilliantly for me in the past. The exercise will buy you more points so good incentive if you want a treat.

Alexabram
    Participant

Stay mentally relax take it easy just take a look on your diet and see what food you are taking isn’t good for you avoid that prefer vegetables and fruits.Avoid junk food and fast food.

RebeccaUiChorbaidh
    Participant

Hi Ladies!

Congratulations on the births of your beautiful babies!! :)

I am a new mom myself…my little one is 11weeks old on Tuesday. Having gained quite alot of weight while pregnant…I was 92kgs the day I gave birth to Cathal (New Years Day 2013) I know how horrible and annoying it is to just feel like a frump!

It has been 11wks and I am now 66kgs (my ideal weight is between 60-62kgs) but not far to go….the secret to the weightloss….weights and walking! I do a 45min gym session 5-6times a week and go walking everywhere with Cathal.

As for the eating…3 meals 2 snacks…the meals are small but dont cut out any food group! Your body needs carbs! And the snacks are usually either pears or crudites….pears are more for the mom on the go….

Finally dont deny yourself a treat! I have a skinny mocha everyday and love it! And then every 3weeks a nice meal with the hubby! (rack of lamb last week!)

And last but not least the promise of new clothes when I hit 62kgs is keeping me going!

I hope this helps girls!

Dont give up! Rebecca

Lil_Miss_Skittles
    Participant

Thanks Rebecca, I’ve been feeling a bit more positive recently. My new tack is to calorie count using myfitnesspal and go for longer on treadmill (60 mins) but less intense so I’m getting between 700 and 850 cals each time. I’ve also started interval training for some of the sessions (1 min on, 2 mins off, 13.5 kph and 6.7 kph on 3 incline respectively for 10 reps) which is tough but really shapes the waist. I’ve lost a few inches and a small bit of weight – now 69.3 kg. In order to keep calories down I’ve been making my own soup for lunch time… So getting there!
    Have recently bought some free weights so hopefully that will help too!

RebeccaUiChorbaidh
    Participant

Oh great!!! weights is the way to go! you will keep it off and change your shape!

I work as a personal trainer and see women forever going hard at it in the cardio section and never giving enough time to weights which is where change happens! I’m starting body conditioning for new moms on Monday in DunLaoghaire so fingers crossed I get some more ladies to embrace weight training!

Keep up the good work and remember when your tired Just do it! Nike really got the best motto ever! x

Peter007
    Participant

I have read your post and found it really nice and most informative post is written by you. I am totally agree with you and I hope that you will continue to post here with us.

Sofarris
    Participant

Hello all,

I struggled for a long time with trying to keep weight off but there a few tips that I found really worked for me. One is don’t starve yourself. For a long time I tried all these detox diets, drink lemon and water for two meals a day, miniscule portions etc but that really isn’t the way to go. Doing so makes your body think it’s a time of famine so when food does arrive again it stores as much fat as possible ready for the next ‘famine.’ Instead eat little and often and make sure the things you eat are healthy. I have cereal and natural yoghurt for breakfast, three pieces of fruit a day, home made salad for lunch and then water I fancy for dinner that’s not disgustingly unhealthy.

I would also recommend keeping hydrated as this will make your exercise more effective and also help keep any hunger pangs at bay.

The third and final tip is the hardest and has been already touched on by others. A long slog on the treadmill just isn’t effective at burning fat, building muscle or getting your metabolism up. You don’t even necessarily need weights to start working out more effectively. The secret is short bursts of high intensity exercise with very short breaks in between. Google ‘7 minute workout’ and give that a go. At first it will absolutely kill you but the more you do it the better you will get and the weight will start to melt off.

It’s clear you’re committed to losing weight and I think a few changes will mean you start to see real results. Good luck! :good:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. ! or register!