noscript

Home Forums Parents Room New Parents Recipes

This topic contains 49 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of feeeumom feeeumom 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of needtoknow
    busybee
    Participant

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any recipes they wanted to share with the rest of us. I know there have been numerous posts here and there but I have not yet come across a specific post regarding the subject.
    THis is what DD had for dinner today.

Cauliflower, tomato and cheese which I mixed with a small amount of baby pasta chopped up and she loved it.

Hopefully we can all gather some new recipes

Profile photo of mom2J
    mom2J
    Participant

great idea needtoknow!
    my son eats what i eat tho.

tonight we are having red and green pepper burritos. which is onion, red and green peppers, mannge tout, kidney beans, garlic, tomato puree, some veg stock, flour tortillas, low fat natural yoghurt, cheese.

Profile photo of lennie
    lennie
    Participant

Ds had
    haddock, pasta, spinach in a cheese sauce with some parsnip and sweet potato. (wasn’t keen tho!!)

Profile photo of November Joy
    November Joy
    Participant

DD had cheesy lentils – she loves them. Cook the lentils (red) for 30 mintues (if unsoaked 45 ) add a carrot and an onion and keep simmering until they are cooked then add some grated cheese. It really is yummy.

Profile photo of alfie1975
    alfie1975
    Participant

Great thread – hope it continues. My DS had fish bake today cod with potato/cheese and onions. He loves it !

Profile photo of curlymop
    curlymop
    Participant

great idea!!! my DS had steamed chicken, potato and some spaghetti hoops today and loved it to bits!

busybee
    Participant

Bump

Profile photo of JoeyB
    JoeyB
    Participant

My DS loves his lamb – sweet potatoe, lamb, tomatoe, spring onion and this week I added some carrot. He devours it.

Profile photo of freddie freckle
    freddie freckle
    Participant

my dd had cod brocoli cheese and chive sauce for dinner loved it. also loves beef stew carrots leeks onion garlic! she had cheese and tomotoe ravioli for lunch and devoured it so handy too i cheated just bought the tin!!

alfie1975
    Participant

Hi Girls, Would it be possible to include our babys’ ages on the recipes. My DS is almost 7 months and I not 100% what foods he can be given so if the ages are on receipes it would be of great help. Louisemag I made the lentils yesterday for DS (i didn’t put in the cheese) but he loved it. Another thought, I am still batching up food and freezing it in ice cubes. Am i still supposed to do that at 7 months and if so how many cubes say of a protein dish such as chicken/lentils should he be taking with veg. Sorry for adding the “science bit” to this very useful thread !

Profile photo of mom2J
    mom2J
    Participant

it depends on what baby will eat white diamond. give whatever baby will eat. you know babies needs best.

tonight my ds had leek and mushroom gratain. leek, mushroom, cream, soy sauce (low salt) breadcrumbs, cheese, thyme. he is ten months.

November Joy
    Participant

Hey Girls,

Tried out another one on DD today. Actually did a big batch yesterday. It’s tuna, pasta, veg and cheese sauce. Cook the pasta (an ounce and half). The veg I did were yellow pepper, courgette and onion. Fry them all off in some oil with a bit of garlic. The cheese sauce was 1 tablespoon of plain flour, 1/2 unsalted butter, 5 oz milk and about an ounce of cheese. Melt the butter and then add the flour to make a smooth paste then slowly add the milk. When it has thickened add the cheese. Then you just add the cheese sauce and pasta to the veg – it was bloody gorgeous. White Diamond glad you like the lentils, I did one yesterday – veg and lentil hotpot. I stopped using the cubes when I bought babypotz (www.babypotz.ie). I got a mixed box to start with and tried DD with 3oz, 4oz and 5oz. The 4oz suited her so I bought a box of 50 it only worked out at about E20.

November Joy
    Participant

Sorry girls, forgot to mention that you use 4oz of passata and obviously a can of tuna!!

Profile photo of lennie
    lennie
    Participant

Louisemag whats babypotz?

busybee
    Participant

Lousiemag I like that recipe must try it. On the pots issue I found the ice cubes were a nuisance because I was pulling out up to 6 for one dinner. What I use now is the pots from the fruit purees she has for b’fast. They are 100ml pots and they are just the right size for DD.

November Joy
    Participant

Lennie,

It’s a company that makes pots for baby food (yeah I know… you knew that already!!). I actually got a leaflet in one of the Eumom packs a good while ago. They’re really handy, you can use them in the microwave or in the steamer. They come in loads of different sizes – there is a starter pack which gives you a few of each and you can decide from there. The lady who sell them is lovely – very helpful.

Profile photo of xoxo
    xoxo
    Participant

Really good post – my DD is 10 months and loves most foods

Especially – pasta stars – tomatoes , courgettes and chedder cheese

Like the tuna recipe must try it

alfie1975
    Participant

Gonna try those baby potz too. When you make a batch of something do you put it in these pots and then freeze them ? I made chicken casserole for DS today. Very basic, chicken fillet with carrot, parsnip onion potato and chicken stock (snuck in a cube of broccoli too). Thankfully he didn’t notice ! He also ate a long thin slice of mild cheddar for me as a snack – his first time and he seemed to really like it, so I was happy mama as trying to get him used to different foods. Also gave him some banana and peach but he couldn’t grasp them. Ended up mashed in to my floor !

November Joy
    Participant

Xoxo, where do you get the pasta stars? White Diamond, I put the food in the pots and then freeze them. I have to say anything that I’ve put cheese in, DD has loved it. I use the Lorraine Kelly cookery book which I find great and in that it says that putting cheese on things is a great way to get babies and toddlers to eat veg!

alfie1975
    Participant

I just trying scrambled eggs with cheese for supper (waiting for it to cool down now). Gave him the eggs on its’ own last week and he really didn’t like it.

Profile photo of mum2a07
    mum2a07
    Participant

Louise, You can annabel karmel pasta stars in boots. They`re organic and glutten free. My ds loves them. Had them today with sweetcorn,tuna and cheese and loved it! Pasta is hands down his fave dinner!

November Joy
    Participant

Thanks Mum2. Can I just ask, I know your LO is around the same age as mine, do you have to mash them up or are they small enough for them to eat without choking?

Profile photo of xoxo
    xoxo
    Participant

U can also get the Heinz ones in most supermarkets as well in the baby section. No need to mash them up but might take one or 2 mouthfuls to get used to.

I currently have over 100 dinners in freezer so that should last for a while!!!

Boots in dundrum definitely have the annabel carmel ones.

If not you can jsut get noraml pasta and put it in the blender all the same reallty

FYI – Couscous is just as good and really easy. I’ve started using that with some lunches as well. just levae stand in boiling water for 5 to 10 mins – so handy!!!

Profile photo of JoeyB
    JoeyB
    Participant

Oh God I feel so unadventorous! My DS only gets the pops / veg and meat dinners the poor thing. I will have to start using some of the recipes above

November Joy
    Participant

Hi Girls,

Got the Heinz pasta stars in Dunnes today, God they’re tiny!!! Also got Heinz chicken gravy for DD so looking for something to put it in – any ideas??

Profile photo of mom2J
    mom2J
    Participant

Louise, potatoes, peas, carrots mixed with the baby gravy with a handful of chicken is my sons absolute favorite dinner. and to be honest, it is really delicious.

tonight ds had quorn cottage pie. quorn, peas, carrots, potatoes, gravy. yum.

November Joy
    Participant

Mom2J, how do you make your gravy?

Profile photo of mom2J
    mom2J
    Participant

i use the baby gravy when ds is having some. its expensive, but i’m afraid to use normal stock cubes. so i just add salt to my own portion and leave his.

November Joy
    Participant

Yeah, I want to make a shepherd’s pie for DD, I suppose I could use the chicken gravy, she’s not going to notice the difference is she????

Profile photo of mom2J
    mom2J
    Participant

i doubt it. if she likes the chicken gravy then i doubt she’ll have a problem with it. it just makes life so much easier without messing around with stock cubes and worrying is there too much salt and stuff.

Profile photo of Mullbury
    Mullbury
    Participant

Could you please advise – was going to make cauliflower cheese for dd who is 6 months – do you use full fat milk when cooking or do I use breastmilk and is it ok to cook with breastmilk.

Profile photo of mom2J
    mom2J
    Participant

its up to you mullbury. at 6 months it doesnt make any difference to her if its cows milk, but if you want to make the meal extra nutitious then use breastmilk. i’m fairly sure you can cook with breastmilk. but what i would do is heat it seperately and add it then rather than heat it with the food, if you know what i mean? btw, way to go on breastfeeding so long!

Profile photo of mum2a07
    mum2a07
    Participant

Louise, how chicken gravy go? My ds doesnt like it and cant fing the beef. Try pasta yet? Going to try cous cous, sounds really easy!
    Mullbury, think its ok cooking with bm. Not 100% tho.
    Tonight dinner was chicken casserole-ds loved it!

Profile photo of mom2J
    mom2J
    Participant

mum2a07, supervalue is the only shop i can get the beef gravy. its really annoying cos i shop in dunnes. ds doesnt like the chicken either and thats all that dunnes stock. has anyone tried the tomato sauce in that range? my son nearly threw it at me it was so awful. even the smell makes me feel a bit dodgy! much prefer to make my own.

Profile photo of mum2a07
    mum2a07
    Participant

Tried ds with cous cous today, put mushrooms/garlic and few herbs in and he really liked it! Smelt awful, nearly didnt give it! And finally ate some toast!
    Tried a tom sauce and ds loved it! Threw packet out and now cant find which one it was! Make quick one with toms myself but dont use it much. Now I just need to find a supervalue!

Profile photo of mom2J
    mom2J
    Participant

i think heinz are the only ones who make the sauces.

tonight ds is having sweetcorn risotto. arborio rice, onion, garlic, sweetcorn and thyme.

Profile photo of mum2a07
    mum2a07
    Participant

Going shopping tomorrow so will try find it again.
    Tonight is chinese night in Louth so ds had cous cous for dinner and scrambled egg and spag hoops for tea.

busybee
    Participant

Hi,
    I would love a tomato sauce to go with pasta, if anyone can give me one. The recipes in Annalbel Karmels books all seem to include things like tuna and meat. I want one that is filling enough that I can add it to pasta on its own and make a healthy tea.

Bought rusks and was giving DD a mashed up rusk and a heinz custard pot mixed with it. She loved it and it was no wonder when I took a bite of the rusks one day my teeth nearly fell out with the sugar. Using them up very sparingly and not buying them again. I am giving her a savoury tea mostly at the mo and she likes it just aswell. Once a weeks or so I give her creamed rice for tea as a treat.

Profile photo of mom2J
    mom2J
    Participant

some tinned tomatoes blended up with some basil would make a nice sauce needtoknow. simple, but tasty for a quick tea. i pad mine out with some peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn or some aubergine. also, you can get sugarfree rusks. you cant get them in tesco, but dunnes and supervalue do them. much better option imo. also maybe you could try a liga, they arent half as sweet as the rusks.

Profile photo of bonjour
    bonjour
    Participant

Thanks for the receipes, esp the tuna one. My ds2 loves leek and potato soup, red lental carrot onion, parsnip and sweetcorn. Fish, brocoli, cauliflower, potato and white sauce.

Use organic full fat milk for cooking. Breast milk can not be boiled, it will separate. Tried it with ds1 and then red leaflet on it.

November Joy
    Participant

Hey Girls,

God this has turned into a great thread! Mum2, haven’t tried the gravy or pasta yet but have it there ready to roll!! Needtoknow, we use a tomato sauce for ourselves which is really easy to make (Jamie Oliver). Heat some oil in a pot and fry a crushed clove of garlic. Add a tin of whole plum tomatoes and leave on quite a low simmer for half an hour, don’t stir just leave it. You can add your herbs as well. You may have to add sugar to combat the tartness, but I’ve notice in Annabel Karmels book that she adds a quarter teaspoon of brown sugar to sweeten something. Then whizz it up in the blender. If you’re doing it for yourself just add about a teaspoon of whitewine vinegar before the blender. Fresh basil is great in it. If you’re making more just add a half hour for every tin of tomatoes.

Finally girls I have found a salt free bouillion. Well my MIL did at the garden show in the park. Used it today to make a lamb casserole for DD. It’s made by the Organic Herb Company Ireland, I’ve sent them off an email to see about buying it in shops.

I know the rusks are very sweet Needtoknow, I can’t bare them – DH has bought is own box because I gave out to him for eating DD’s. I have bought the reduced sugar ones but they don’t always have them in the supermarket. Hope all is well Mom2J, I’m still battling with DD and her bottles. With the PHN on Tuesday for hearing test so I’ll have to have a chat with her about it. Talk later[:D]

Profile photo of mom2J
    mom2J
    Participant

louise, is dd still not taking her bottles? god, i hope she doesnt start the same carry on mine did with the formula! thats the trouble when you make them good yummy food, they want that instead of boring flavourless formula!

today ds had lemon baked chicken. chicken breast par boiled, coated in herbs, garlic and the rind of a lemon. use the juice of the lemon as steaming liquid and wrap in tin foil. bake for half an hour. gave it to him with spinach, peas and roasted peppers.

November Joy
    Participant

Yeah Mom2J, don’t know what the story is???? She is down to two bottles a day but I spoke to the nurse in the Doctor’s surgery when she was getting her jab and she said to cut out the mid morning bottle as she obviously didn’t need it. Then she stopped taking the afternoon bottle. I consoled my self because she was taking 5/6 oz going to bed and 5/6oz in the morning. But now she’ll only take 3oz at bedtime and morning so I’m freaked out now[:(] Hopefully the PHN will have some insight!

alfie1975
    Participant

I’m not sure about the breast milk Mullbury but you can definitely cook with full fat cows milk from 6 months. Tried the pasta stars with heinz tomato & basil baby sauce. DS loved it, although he found the texture very strange at first. Gave him some Batchelors Sugar Free (or reduced sugar, can’t remember) mashed with sweet potato for tea yesterday evening – def his favourite tea so far.

Profile photo of bonjour
    bonjour
    Participant

ds2 loved the tuna dish girls thanks

busybee
    Participant

bump

Profile photo of miami
    miami
    Participant

Great thread lots of fantastic recipes. My ds is 3 and am 17 weeks pregnant and cant remember any of the foods I cooked for my son. Will definitely be taking note of some of the great recipes.

alfie1975
    Participant

Girls, when is it ok to give baby garlic? Tesco do all the heinz sauces – the chicken/beef & tomato. For dinner today DS had chicken & butter nut squash rissotto – He found it very lumpy so I pureed some of it to make it a bit finer and he really liked it. At tea time he had thick leek & courgette soup with some mashed little pieces of bread in it. I’m starting to stock up the freezer now. Is it 6 weeks that everything lasts in the freezer ?

Profile photo of mom2J
    mom2J
    Participant

baby can have garlic from 6 months. its a really healthy food, just go easy on it cos its a strong flavour. i try and put a bit of garlic into everything because of its benefits to the immune system.

Profile photo of feeeumom
    feeeumom
    Participant

Does anyone know a good recipe for chocolate brownies? My son loves them and is always at me to make them, please help🍰

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. ! or register!