noscript

Home Forums General Forums General Chat & Miscellaneous Homework- a battle –

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Soniakd Soniakd 8 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of september79
    september79
    Participant

How long would you spend doing homework with a child in 2nd class?
    My DS1 hates being told to do his homework and really doesnt want to put in any time learning either tables or spellings. Im wondering am i being to hard on him, so this week ive tried a new approach and i let him decide how long to spend learning tables etc and im taking a step back. Should i be panicking at the fact that he doesnt know his tables? Should i just relax[?]

Profile photo of Sarah
    Sarah
    Participant

My DS is in First Class. He gets spellings, tables, reading, writing and sums for homework. In September we found he was getting much more homework than last year – this appears to be normal for First Form. Anyway, each day homework was a battleground – him not focussing, not learning, me shouting etc. etc. I decided to take a different tack on it. We now talk about “doing happy homework when we get home”. I tell him each day how much I enjoy doing it with him (large fib!!!). He writes out his tables, but certainly doesn’t recite them they way I recall we used to. We spent in excess of 30 minutes each day – sometimes up to an hour – depending on his concentration or lack of. Has your child’s teacher given any indication as to what expectations are? I think it’s a good idea to talk to teachers – let them know you are interested in your child’s education and get feedback on what the norm is. I think in second form to expect a child to “learn” things by rote is a bit beyond them? I know this rambles a bit, but hope it helps somewhat?

Profile photo of Soniakd
    Soniakd
    Participant

I hated learning tables in school, the more my dad tried to help the more i hated it.Sounds like he might be very bored with the whole thing. Maybe if he was thought a different way he might enjoy it more. I found some websites that he might like. The last one might be great fun for a boy his age !![;)] full of real video games to teach tables.

a spelling site i use is http://www.starfalls.com and these are other sites are good for tables…..
    http://www.teachingtables.co.uk or mathsisfun.com/tables.html or multiplication.com/interactive_games.htm

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. ! or register!