Creamy Bacon And Mushroom Pasta
This is a great one to throw together when you don't have any specific ingredients in (we find that bacon lardons are a great 'just in case' to pick up with your grocery shop). Feel free to skip the White Wine if you're cooking for the kids, just add in a little extra stock.
Add sliced chicken fillets for extra protein, use whole wheat pasta to boost the fibre content, and if you want more greenery, peas are an excellent addition to boost that 5-a-day.
Prep/Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
- 350g tagliatelle
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 80g smoked bacon or pancetta, chopped into lardons
- 250g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 50ml white wine
- 50ml chicken stock
- 120ml cream, at room temperature
- 120ml milk, at room temperature
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- 60g Parmesan, grated
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook the tagliatelle according to the package instructions. Drain the pasta, reserving some of the cooking water. Rinse the pasta under cold water and set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Cook the lardons for 3-4 minutes until light golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate lined with kitchen paper, leaving the drippings in the pan.
3. Add the mushrooms to the pan over a medium-high heat and cook for 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Season with salt and black pepper. Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
4. Turn the heat to high and add the white wine. Bubble for 1-2 minutes, using a wooden spoon to scrape any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan.
5. Add the chicken stock and simmer over a medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes until reduced by half. Turn the heat to low.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and add the cream and milk. Stir to incorporate, then return to the low heat and allow to thicken for 2-3 minutes, stirring. Stir in the parsley and Parmesan, allowing the cheese to melt into the sauce.
7. Add the cooked pasta and stir to coat, adding a splash or two of cooking water if needed to loosen the sauce.
8. Divide between serving bowls and top with extra Parmesan and parsley.
Per Serving 501kcals, 19.4g fat (6.9g saturated), 54.6g carbs, 3.3g sugars, 25.7g protein, 0.8g fibre, 0.593g sodium
This gorgeous recipe is courtesy of our sister website easyfood.ie. Easy Food is Ireland’s go-to source for all things food. It is the ultimate cooking and kitchen guide for home cooks, from fail-safe recipes to expert tips from our very own custom-built test kitchen. Visit easyfood.ie for more great recipes, and don’t forget to pick up a copy of our magazine!