Gluten-Free Buttermilk Cake With Strawberry Icing Recipe
This cake is absolutely stunning and will really impress your friends and family. The tasty buttercream icing is delicious too!
Serves: 12 - 14
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 200g butter/margarine
- 315g caster sugar
- 100g cornflour
- 100g rice flour
- 100g potato flour
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp bread soda
- ¾ tsp xanthan gum
- 4 large eggs
- 300ml buttermilk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For The Icing:
- 200g butter/margarine, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50g fresh strawberries
- 450g icing sugar
- 60ml whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170˚C fan/gas mark 5. Flour and grease two 20cm round cake tins.
- In a medium-sized bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the butter/margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy. Sieve the flours, baking powder, salt, bread soda and gum into a bowl. Mix the flours into the butter/margarine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs together with the buttermilk, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla extract.
- Slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry by hand, or with the mixer on speed one, until the batter is combined.
- Divide the batter equally between the two cake tins. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 5-10 minutes in the baking tins, then carefully turn them out onto a wire rack. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter/margarine, vanilla extract, fresh strawberries (they mash as you mix) and icing sugar in a medium-sized bowl. Once smooth, turn the mixer to a medium speed and slowly mix in the whipping cream until light and fluffy.
- When the cakes are cold, sandwich them together with one third of the strawberry icing. Then use the remainder to decorate the top and sides of the cake.
- Top off with halved strawberries, leaving the green leaves on the fruit for colour.
Per Serving 529kcals, 25.5g fat (15.5g saturated), 74g carbs, 56g sugars, 4.3g protein, 1.5g fibre, 0.403g sodium
This gorgeous recipe is courtesy of our sister website easyfood.ie. Easy Food is Ireland’s go-to source for all things food. It is the ultimate cooking and kitchen guide for home cooks, from fail-safe recipes to expert tips from our very own custom-built test kitchen. Visit easyfood.ie for more great recipes, and don’t forget to pick up a copy of our magazine!