Beautiful Ombre Cake Recipe
Looking for an eye-catching cake recipe for a special occasion, such as a birthday, communion or christening?
This Beautiful Ombre Cake is simply perfect, and much easier than it looks!
- Make 2 Basic Chocolate Sponge Cakes (recipe here) to fill 4 x 20cm round sandwich tins
- Make 2 quantities Basic Buttercream Icing (recipe here)
- Food colouring of choice
- Decorative edible pearls
- Fresh berries or flowers
- Once you’ve baked the cakes, use a serrated knife to trim off the tops so that they’re level.
- Split the buttercream icing into four bowls. Use the food colouring to dye three of the bowls, one pale, one medium and the final a deep shade.
- Sandwich the cake layers on top of one another using one bowl with the white icing.
- Use a palette knife or the back of a spoon to cover the bottom third of the cake with the deepest colour. It’s fine if the icing is rough; it will be smoothed out later.
- Cover the middle third with the middle colour. Spread the top third and the top of the cake with the pale icing.
- Run a clean, warm palette knife or butter knife around the cake to smooth out and blend the three colours. Dot edible pearls around the cake and top with berries or flowers, if desired.
Per Serving 875kcals, 44.3g fat (20.4g saturated), 124.5g carbs, 87.6g sugars, 10.7g protein, 8.5g fibre, 0.395g sodium
This gorgeous recipe is courtesy of our sister website easyfood.ie. Easy Food is Ireland’s go-to source for all things food. It is the ultimate cooking and kitchen guide for home cooks, from fail-safe recipes to expert tips from our very own custom-built test kitchen. Visit easyfood.ie for more great recipes, and don’t forget to pick up a copy of our magazine!