Baby Bedtime Bath
JOHNSON’S® Baby have brought the secret of a calm and quiet nursery to homes around Ireland with their Bedtime Bath routine.
A clinical study conducted by sleep experts found that a Before Bedtime routine pioneered by Johnson & Johnson can significantly improve infant sleep and reduce mothers’ tension, anxiety and fatigue by over 50%. The study found that babies fell asleep faster, stayed asleep longer.
The JOHNSON’S® Baby Bedtime Routine consists of a warm bath with JOHNSON’S® Baby Bedtime Bath followed by a gentle massage with JOHNSON’S® Baby Bedtime Lotion and then a quiet activity such as reading, cuddling or listening to soft music.
STEP 1 – BATHING YOUR BABY
Bathtime can be an enjoyable experience for you and your baby. Remember a young baby needs constant support in the water, so never take your hands off or leave baby alone in the bath.
- Have everything ready before you start. Keep the water shallow, up to 13cm. Check the temperature with your wrist before putting baby in – the water should be warm, but not hot.
- Pour JOHNSON’S® Baby Bedtime Bath into the warm water. Swirl the product through the water using your hand to mix evenly and to make sure there are no ‘hot’ spots.
- Remove the towel and gently put your baby into the bath. Support head and shoulders with one arm and legs and bottom with the other.
- Using the hand that was under the bottom, gently splash water over your baby’s body. Give her time to kick her arms and legs.
- Lift your baby out of the bath, wrap her in a warm towel and dry her thoroughly. Put on a clean nappy and dress her for bed.
STEP 2 – MASSAGING YOUR BABY
Massage can help you recognise and respond to your baby’s body language, and is a wonderful way to make your baby feel safe and secure by showing he or she is loved and cared for. There is no one way to massage your baby – provided you know how to do it safely, you and your baby will discover what’s best for you both.
After drying your baby and before you dress baby for bed, apply a small amount of JOHNSON’S® Baby Bedtime Lotion into the palm of your hand and massage into your baby’s skin.
STEP 3 – QUIETLY OFF TO SLEEP
After giving your baby a warm bath with JOHNSON’S® Baby Bedtime Bath and massage with JOHNSON’S® Baby Bedtime Lotion, enjoy quiet time together and help your baby wind down further by reading, singing softly, or feeding her. Avoid active play at this time so that your baby goes to bed sleepy, but still awake. This will help your baby learn to self-soothe, so baby will be more able to put themselves back to sleep if they wakes during the night.
DOWNLOAD NOW: The makers of JOHNSON’S® understands that a good night’s sleep is not only great for baby but for you too. That’s why they have created a free baby sleep app, to help you track and learn about your baby’s sleep habits.
The JOHNSON’S® BEDTIME™ baby sleep app provides a sleep-analysis tool with recommendations on how to help improve your baby’s sleep. Try it now, you’ll thank us later.