Moms' Opinion: The Best Nursing Bras For You
Bras. For something that most women wear every day, it is surprisingly tricky to find the right one. And when you add to that the need for nursing bras, and endlessly changing size; it can sometimes seem impossible.
So when one of our moms got in touch for advice about Nursing Bras, we couldn’t wait to see what our community would recommend:
"Hi Moms. I'm nearly full-term and at my wits end. I cannot get any nursing/maternity bras in my size. I can barely get a normal bra. I just have one.
I do have a big chest but obviously I've gotten bigger. I'm very tall and broad and really need a 44H. I can't find one anywhere online or in the shops.
I have tried Marks, Debenhams, Brown Thomas, Hotcups and loads of other websites but nothing. Surely I can't be the only one with this problem? Any recommendations appreciated."
Clockwise from top left: Debenhams Pink Nursing Bra, Anita Fleur Underwired Nursing Bra, Freya Rosie Soft-cup Nursing Bra, Marks & Spencer (2 pack) Maternity Spacer Non-Wired Tshirt Nursing Bra, Anita Cherry Blush Nursing Bra.
It's always best to start by being professionally measured. So even if you think you might buy online, make sure you go in store first, as your size might have changed considerably. Arnotts, House of Fraser, Debenhams, and Marks and Spencer all do a great fitting service.
- Marie: Arnotts are brilliant.
- Jenny: You can get your cup size in Marks and Spencer's, and they do bra back extenders. These will allow you to add inches to the width of the bra. Ask to be measured and the girls there will know.
- Marie: Try House of Fraser, they have a lot of great brands, might be worth the trip to Belfast or Dublin.
Read next: How To Look and Feel Fab While Breastfeeding
From Left: Elomi Soft-Cup Beatrice Nursing Bra, Mothercare (2 pack) Fuller Bust mini-spot & White Nursing T-shirt Bra, Freya Pure Moulded Nursing Bra.
This might be the time to go to a specialist lingerie shop; and there were many recommendations from Moms around the country, about where to visit:
- Áine: Have you tried a boutique called Ophelia's in Dundalk?
- Maureen: Marie Sue lingerie in Newbridge & Carlow is very good
- Nicola: I wore Royce brand of bras. They are so comfy and I was big. I shop Cherche La Femme in Longford but Sharon has an online shop too.
- Amanda: Littlepleasureslingerie.ie (in Cork)
- Lucy: Try Belle femme in KK. they do hot milk bras. Think they have a website.
- Sandi: 'Hiccups and Juice' on Etsy will custom make it.
- Annette: Goods in Kilkenny are known for their lingerie department.
- Patricia: Burges in Athlone are great
- Michelle: I got mine only a few weeks ago here...mariesuelingerie.ie. The Elomi brand is great for the bigger sizes.
Read Next: Breast Milk Is Amazing! What Makes It The Ultimate Superfood?
From Left: Panache Sophie Nursing Bra, Royce Charlotte Nursing Bra, Cake Sugar Candy Nursing Bra.
Once you're comfortable with your size, you may find a greater range online. Especially if your bra size is outside the 'standard' perameters that are stocked in store.
- Valerie: I was the very same. I used www.bravissimo.co.uk & www.brastop.co.uk. The Elomi brand do brilliant maternity bras for larger chests.
- Alisha: Littlewoods go up to a 52E - you don't need a credit account to order with them - you can pay in full for the item. You could always order a few different ones, keep the ones that fit and then return the ones you don't like!
As well as figleaves.com, brastop.com, littlewoods.ie, and simplybe.co.uk; our moms were raving about Bravissimo:
- Michelle: Try Bravissimo, you can give them a call first and have a chat to one of their advisors if you are unsure of the size to order, I’ve always found them great to deal with
- Sharon: Bravissimo! I haven't worn a bra from anywhere else since discovering theirs!
- Lisa: Bravissimo all the way! I'm a 38k and I got 2 fabulous nursing bras there, actually drove from Longford to Belfast today to get new ones!
Read Next: How To Rediscover Your Style As A Mom
From Left: Hot Milk My Necessity Sleep Bra, Hot Milk Eclipse Nude Nursing Bra, Hotmilk Untamed Nursing Bra
But what are the best bra brands?
Anita is wonderful for larger chests, as are Cake, Royce, Panache, Mothercare and Elomi.
- Niamh: Triumph are great
- Kasia: Mothercare! The best Bra I’ve ever had!
- Lisa: I was similar when I was breast feeding. The Anita bra is great & so comfortable.
But what make was mentioned more than any other? Hot Milk.
- Maeve: I’m a 38H normally and since pregnant and now breastfeeding for 9 months I’m a 40J - I SWEAR by Hotmilk. Incredible nursing bras!
- Sarah: HOTMILK are a brand of nursing and maternity bra's that are lovely and pretty and they do large cup sizes also as needed a big cup when nursing my last little baba xxxx
Read Next: Top Tips For Breastfeeding
Of course, what works for one person may not work for the next, even if on paper you’re the same size. Not only might you find a very different fit more comfortable; there have also been differing opinions of the best fitting services (which can of course depend on exactly which staff member you get!) Make sure you get properly fitted, even if you then go on to buy online. It may take time to find just the right one for you; but remember, there is the right bra out there for you somewhere!
So where did you find your favourites? We'd love to hear.