Home Forums Pregnancy Moms-to-be raising children bilingually

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of bambina bambina 5 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    bambina
    Participant

While I have a bit to go before my little bundle of joy arrives, I was just wondering if anyone has been thinking of raising their child bilingually or they do already.
    It would be great to hear from anyone who will be doing this.

due in june
    Participant

Hello, I am Taiwanese and my husband is Irish, so my child will definitely be raised bilingually. I will teach my child to speak Chinese and my child will speak English to my husband.

ellie4
    Participant

My SIL speaks French to their kids and my brother speaks English, their kids are now 5,9 and 11 and they have never had any problems with it.

Eumom-Guest
    Participant

My SIL is Japanese. She speaks to him in Japanese and My brother speaks to him in English. I think that that most parents speak their natural tongue to the child and they learn both without any problem.

bambina
    Participant

Thats great to hear from so many people. My dh is Italian and I am Irish. I have met/know a few bilingual families. I think that it is such a wonderful gift to give to a child.

Frenchmum
    Participant

Hi!
    I am French and my husband is Irish. I am expecting my 2nd child, our 1st is 3 and 3 months. She speaks fluent English (you will hear a LOT that bilingual kids suffer from speech delay, it is not always true! My DD spoke very early, and hardly ever shuts up lol), she understands French 100% and knows most French words. She tends to reply in English, but if I ask her to do so in French she will say most of the sentence in French.

I spoke French to her since the moment she was born, it is very important. We have books and DVDs, they help a lot.

Best of luck! It is wonderful.

miami80
    Participant

My DH is Itlian and I am Irish. Our first baby is due in July and we will definitely be bringing him/her up bilingually. We will probably both speak both languages as we are both fluent in English and Italian and at the moment we speak both at home all the time to each other without thinking twice about it. It’s more natural for us to keep speaking the two languages.

bambina
    Participant

Wow miami I am impressed!!! How did you get to be fluent? I wish I could claim to be, but the grammar is so difficult!!!

miami80
    Participant

Hi bambina, I studied Italian at uni to MA level but I also lived in Italy for three years so that helps :-) and I love studying grammar :-)

clionaf2000
    Participant

It’s just about confidence really. Over 70% of world’s population is bilingual and think nothing of it.
    Both DH and I are Irish but we intend to bring our child up bilingually – Irish and English. There are so many resources available to us from naionrai to gaelscoileanna and social events through Irish for teh whole family.
    We should all really give it a go as it helps the social, cognative and physical development of any child

bambina
    Participant

There is a great website http://www.comhluadar.ie/ thats dedicated to raising children bilingually – Irish and English. You may have already seen it. I am going to send my children to a gaelscoil. They have a great atmosphere in them.
    Miami I am so jealous. All I can aim for is conversational level. I am improving – I hope!

A diamond
    Participant

HI THERE!
    We are a romanian couple living in iReland fro the past 10years and we have 2 boys now.

Because we studied arabic language my 2.5year old speaks arabic,romanian and pick up very well English.

So as long as they are very young they will do it with no problem…..he speaks so much no delay whatsoever…..I love bilingual children they very interesting as they take 2 different cultures on board.

ladies why dont we organize2meet up with our children its gonna be great fun —-so many languages—-
    let me know if u d like that

bambina
    Participant

Sounds like fun, but my little bean has a long way to go.
    I am due in October!!!
    Could join you then, if we haven’t emigrated.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. ! or register!