Toddler Safety and Childproofing
Join in the conversation with other mums and mums-to-be on our forums.
Toddler protection begins at home. Reports have it contrary to public belief that protection must be sought for the most while children are out rather than when they are home. Parents have traditionally kept in mind the protection their children will need against stranger abduction and violence when in fact. Childproof your home before you toddler starts to crawl, toddle, and climb around every part of your house.
During the process of childproofing, your toddler's new skills of mobility will likely keep your mind preoccupied and be very busy physically at the same time. As an effective start-up before the installation of any childproofing gadgets around your home, assume a child's-eye view. Get down on your knees and see how the surroundings look from your toddler's point of view. From down there, imagine what an inquisitive little mind would do to explore all these new places and toys around the house. Scope out the whole area and check what items are within reach, what areas look tempting to crawl, toddle, or walk into. All these will help you identify which spaces, drawers, and cupboards require proofing. Evaluate on a regular basis, looking out for higher and wider areas each time as your toddler grows up. Follow these practical guidelines on safe childproofing:
- Lock up cupboards where chemical hazard bottles, cleaning products, medicines, and sharp materials are stored. Poisonous materials should be kept away from the reach of children.
- Install stair gates to limit your child's access to these areas of your home. Children consider the stairs as their next new adventure world.
- Put your little kid away from sockets or invest on plug socket guards. These are potential hazards and your toddler would not know that their sticky or wet little fingers should not be poked into those plug sockets.
- Clear out the floor, reachable tables and drawers of coins, marbles, beads, paper clips, and other tiny objects. Putting almost everything they get a hold of into heir mouth is likewise your toddler’s new skill in addition to crawling, toddling, or climbing. This will help them avoid getting choked.
- Take account of your visitor’s things which is definitely not childproof. Aspirins, lipstick, and many other items that people usually carry in their bags may be dangerous once your kid starts messing around with it.
If you personally have not gained the confidence that your home is already a safe haven for your toddler, the market offers a wide range of professionals who do well on the job of childproofing services. You may hire a professional childproofer for installation of all the safety devices. It should be noted, however, that these gadgets do not and can never be a substitute for your own eyes and ears. Your child will develop new skills everyday that may put them in dangerous situations, making parental supervision the best childproofing device for your child.
Some parents also try the different approach of teaching boundaries to their children, telling which areas they are allowed to go and which areas are prohibited. Whatever method of childproofing is implemented, it is important to take caution and be prepared. Before you know it, your baby is already on the move. He may not be crawling or walking yet now but tomorrow, he may just be able to get up and start the exploration adventure in the entire house.
Read our blogs by women for women * Enter our great competitions * Collect your FREE gift bag today * Send us your photos and share your story * Other articles you might like